Monday, December 17, 2012

It's not looking good


I should have knit a shorter cuff on those damn mittens.

Honestly, though, that would make them look dumb.  I know this in my head, but it doesn't stop me from wanting that yarn.

As things look now, with 3 inches of the hat complete, I will be able to knit just up to where the decreases should begin.  I'm short about 20 yards, I think.

Would it be bad to give a hat with no top?

Could I make a 100-yard scarf(let)?

None of those are good options.


The scale doesn't lie.  It took about 22 g to knit 3 inches.  Part of it is in ribbing, which I know gobbles up yarn (hence the very short ribbed brim).  There are cables, too, which also take more yarn.

As I see it, I have these options:

  1. Only give mittens and put the other half a skein in the leftovers stash.
  2. Pull out the mittens and knit an entirely different pattern.  This hat only calls for 100 yards. I could make matching mittens . . .
  3. Pull out the hat I'm knitting now, take out the cables and close my eyes until the yarn runs out
  4. Knit a shorter hat.  If I knit to 4.5" and then began the decreases, would it be too short?
I guess I'm leaning towards attempting a shorter hat, which if it works, would give me a hat.  If it doesn't, I could always try Option 2 or 3, or angrily resign to Option 1.  Of course, all of this is compounded by the fact that I only have a week to get my grits in order and figure out what I'm doing.  I could knit a set of mitts and a hat entirely in a few days, but that would make my other Christmas knitting suffer.

What would you do?  

No comments:

Post a Comment