Thursday, December 20, 2012

Just sayin'

You're going to have to wait for pictures, because blocking still has to happen, but I'm here to say that Christmas Dress 2012 No. 2 is finished, and it is lovely.  I mean, shockingly lovely, to me.

(Maybe you'll have a different opinion, but I think you can keep that to yourself.)

This dress was 95% done a month ago.  Why didn't I finish it?

Well, it had come out beautifully.  The little picot hem.  The colorwork pattern I designed myself.

(Yes, I am proud--root sin and all that.  Another time we'll talk about that.)

Naturally Henry is interested when Mama begins to splash clothing around in the tub
There was one sleeve done, and one about 75% done, and just the neckband.  I was pretty sure a month ago that something calamitous would happen, like having the wrong dyelot for the rest of the sleeve, or the neckband going wonky.

It was really the neckband that made me put it off.  First time I've done a provisional, and I think I was worried it wouldn't unravel or that it would unravel too much . . . You can sink a project with a crappy neckband.  All that work, all that pretty knitting looking galumphy and lumpy and uneven and wrong and homemade.

He needed to assist me in swishing the dress
Well.  None of that for this dress.  And I liked the way the neckband came out so much I'm thinking of other ways to try out a provisional cast-on.

After the other Christmas knitting is done, that is.  And I'm pretty close:  I've got one mitten left, which I can finish today, and then the baby sweater.  I get until Epiphany for that--bonus for celebrating the WHOLE Christmas season, ladies, is the extended knitting time.  I love being a faithful Catholic.

(And I do mean that.  There are little joyful bonuses like this all the time sharing in a sacramental life with my Savior.  Thanks for the Church and the Sacraments, Lord!)

So I'm going to go bathe that dress and get back to you sometime in between caring for all my little chicks, finishing up our last day of school before Christmas, a little baking, Christmas haircuts (for the girls) and maybe a little wrapping.  A ton of my favorite things to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment