Monday, December 10, 2012

The bulky pair



There he is, my favorite mitten model.  This kiddo gets his mittens on better than my 16-year-old.  Go figure.  Manual dexterity was always problematic for my Foo-Foo.

These mittens were born out of envy.  There was skein of yarn, a bulky Cascade of some sort, in a blue I'd never wear, that clearly I bought at some point to knit something for my mother.  Whatever that was, it never got knit.  But I discovered the yarn in my stash--one of those that never made it into my list on Ravelry.

And here I had just finished a hat and mittens for my dad.

Don't tell them.  I'm pretty sure they're not stopping by here.

I am making something for my mom, but just one thing (I'll get to that in a few days).  It became clear that I should knit her up something with this lovely bulky wool. I think it might have some alpaca in there from the way it drapes. It's really light and lovely.

Anyway, what does one do with 100 yards of a miscellaneous yarn when one is in a mitten mood?  When there is not enough there for house socks and the recipient is not really a hat person?

Mittens, of course.  So voila.  Bulky wool mittens.

Did you want the pattern?  Naturally you did.

Confetti Mittens

Gauge:  3.5 sts/in (bulky yarn on 9s for me)
100 yds of bulky yarn

Confetti pattern:
*k4, p1* on all rounds.  You will have one extra stitch, and that's what creates the cute swirling purl stitches around the mittens.  Just keep following it around as you knit, always purling one stitch before the purl stitch on your left needle.

For a pair of women's mittens, CO 26 sts. Work in 1 x 1 ribbing for 3".  Switch to Confetti pattern and work 3 rounds.  Begin increasing for the thumb gusset.

Note:  You'll work the thumb gusset in stockinette, unless you are more clever than I am.  I was in a hurry--these are Christmas gifts that need to go in the mail TODAY.  Keep track of the pattern where it gets separated from the thumb gussset.  Always knit 4, purl 1 on the non-gusset stitches, and you'll come out just fine. Keep following those purl stitches!

Increase:  m1, k1, m1, then complete your round.  I find it helpful to make the thumb gusset its own needle to keep myself on track.  No markers, and easy off when you transfer the stitches and move on with the palm of the mitt.

Work 2 rounds even, then increase again.  M1, knit to last thumb gusset stitch, m1, finish the round, and then work 2 rounds even.

Increase until you have 9 sts for the thumb, work the 2 rounds even, then set aside your thumb stitches. CO 1 st, then work that palm.  Knit until your mitten is 5 inches from your thumb sts, then shape the top.

Decrease 1:  *k1, k2tog*, then knit one round even.
Decrease 2:  *k2tog*.

Cut a long tail, thread through your live stitches, and weave in your end.

For the thumb:

Transfer 9 sts to needles, pick up 4 stitches to close the gap, and knit for 2".
*K2tog* around, then cut a tail, thread through, and weave in.

Repeat!

No comments:

Post a Comment