Monday, January 14, 2013

Pretty purses



One of my girls asked me for a purse.  I had just the pattern.  Aww yeah:  free!  All I did was shrink it down to little-girl size (75-80%) when I printed out the pdf pattern pieces, and it came out just right.

Little pocket

The best part?  Sifting through my stash with my girls:  believe me, once the project was in the works, it was very clear that I would be making two little purses.  Good thing it only took me an hour.  I finished one on Saturday and one on Sunday.  Bless my dear husband for those two hours!

I also realized that I was beginning to teach my little ladies how to sew: fabric selection, the need and use of pressing, how to apply interfacing . . . I have to admit that I felt a little connected to our mothers of the past, passing on the skill and joy of this craft.  Makes me look forward to many more sewing projects with my girls.

All the necessities that fit inside (plus a little pack of tissues)

I wish they had a little clasp in the center.  I did stabilize the fabric--it was only quilting cotton, so pretty flimsy--but I didn't think it would hold a magnetic clasp.  Also, I only had one.  I'm trying to decide whether I could sew in a snap or do a button and loop, but I may just leave them.  

And maybe I should have interfaced the straps, but I didn't.

Love those pleats!  Love the bag's shape
They were so fun to make, and they take such a little bit of fabric (maybe 1/3 yard, tops).  And did I mention that pattern is free?

No comments:

Post a Comment