Friday, September 30, 2011

On the difference between knitting and sewing

Knitting can almost always be undone.  If I begin and don't like my yarn/pattern/gauge, I just rip it out and start over.  Not so with sewing.

There is the beautiful fabric right in front of me.  There is my sharp rotary cutter.  And with one stroke, it's irrevocable.  You can't take it back.  You can't change your mind.  C'est fini!

It's tremendous pressure for me.  I am dying to try--to start!  But that also means I have to use the fabric I've chosen and paid for, and once I use it, I can't use it again, or in a different way.

It means that I have to work up the courage (seriously?! The courage to cut?  To decide?  Goodness!) . . . I suppose I could start slow and use some odd scraps to see how it goes, dipping my toes in without all the risk!  All the finality!  All the commitment.

Stay tuned.  I feel a strong urge to sew, and something may happen today.  If I can figure out which scraps I'm willing to sacrifice.

No comments:

Post a Comment