Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Me & the TV

Well, we've been paying way too much for TV service, DVR service, HD service . . . especially when we didn't ask for some of those things (thank you! AT & T, for giving us "free" months and then "forgetting" to turn off the service!) and we never watch cable TV anymore.  We're streamers.

It's funny to me that I'm doing something hip and of the moment like that.  I'm not that person at all.

But streaming I like:  no commercials, lots of choice, lots of older shows (without all the stupidity and vulgarity of today).  I especially like the children's shows (and they do, too).

(They're on a Power Rangers kick right now, which while it is pretty terrible, isn't nearly so bad as anything on Nickelodeon these days!)

Our Netflix got interrupted the other day and we had to put on the cable, and they were really mad that we couldn't choose (lately it's an immortal struggle between Angelina Ballerina, Power Rangers and Kipper).  The commercials?  They were enraged!  Hilarious!

We had been talking about doing away with cable for a while, but we were locked into a 12-month contract.  Not anymore.  So I poked around At&T's site--not easy to do if you are an existing customer.  Redirection here, unavailable there . . . there's DSL, U-verse (which we have already), but could we get it without TV service?  (In case you're wondering, I do like the fiber-optic technology for phone & internet better than the DSL, which we had before.)  Looking at the bundles, it's hard to tell.

After lots of irritating poking around, I got to an actual person, who told me that Yes, in fact:  I could have just u-verse internet and phone, for HALF the price of the bundle we have now.  No more HD DVR service for us (boo-boo).

It's getting shut down today, and the DVRs go back this afternoon.

Hallelujah!

No comments:

Post a Comment